But I am grateful to the many writers who -- in their own wildly different ways -- have memorialized in print this amazing city. Thanks to them, countless people who may never have seen New Orleans will get to create a picture of it in their mind's eye.
In memorial to one of the greatest, most exciting, most inspiring cities on this continent, here's a list of some stories set in the Big Easy. I've been leafing through my copies and reading the descriptive passages and being sad.
- A Streetcar Named Desire by Tennessee Williams
- The Awakening by Kate Chopin
- The Complete Stories of Truman Capote
- A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole
- Literary New Orleans by Judy Long (editor)
- The Vampire Lestat by Anne Rice
- Wild at Heart by Barry Gifford