Friday, May 05, 2006

BOOKS: Comes with Complimentary Bedsore Cream

I was working on a big post but then got sidelined (read: Sam had an explosive poop and needed an unscheduled bath), so while I continue to work away at that, in the interim let me direct you to a site that StephD posted in the comments section a few days back, for a product called Bed Books.

What are Bed Books, you say? I'm so glad you asked. Bed Books are books that you read. In bed. Thusly:

I desperately want to make fun of these, but you know, what if Bed Books work? What if they really do prevent neckstrain and eyestrain and all the other assorted strains we readers subject ourselves to on a nightly basis? And don't even get me started on the number of times I've fallen asleep while reading on my back, only to be awoken by the impact of my book thudding onto my face. This is the primary reason for my prejudice against hardcover novels.

I am a little alarmed at this photo, though. Is it just me, or does it look like this woman's shoulder is growing directly out of her throat?

So far, the Bed Books catalogue contains only 24 titles, but it's a nice little selection, ranging from Alice in Wonderland to My Man Jeeves to Siddhartha to the Bible. You can't accuse the Bed Books people of not covering their bases. And I loved reading their rationale for why all the titles are classics:
Why are the world's first Bed Books literary classics? In our research for the creation of our First Edition Bed Books, we quickly realized that classic literature is classic literature not only because its titles have been reprinted over and over through the years, have been adopted and made into hundreds of theatrical events, radio shows, and motion pictures, but because they are great reads!
And let's not forget that, because they're out of copyright, they're also FREE! You go, you mercenary bed readers. You go.

6 comments:

Lady M said...

Good idea. I had to stop reading a hardback from one of my favorite authors when I was 8 months pregnant, because it was too heavy at 900 pages. A sideways book would have helped. ;)

... said...

i am sitting here right now with xian and he can't figure this sideways book idear, nohow. he insists he holds his books tilted...well, when his head is tilted. he demonstrated. friday night...

Em said...

Sounds good to me. I tend to download a lot of books in .pdf format, and then read in bed; so lying down while trying to hold a laptop sideways bites the big one.

RossK said...

Only one red book for me and that's Mr. Auster's.

Which is small and filled with, essentially, notes.

.

Anonymous said...

Hi :D Here's a fun article about Bed Books, you might find it interesting. :)

The Book Bitches

Tammy said...

Heheh. Thanks for the link. I've never been to the Book Bitches site before, but I've just added it to my bookmarks. So thanks again!