Wednesday, August 09, 2006

BOOKS: I Am Writing a Book

No fooling, I really am. I'm about halfway finished and hoping to have a first draft done by late fall as soon as I get a month's worth of uninterrupted sleep.

The working title is Everything I Know About Parenting I Learned from the Internet, and I'm touting it as the least preachy parenting book ever written, mostly because I just make fun of myself and anyone who thinks they have a definitive handle on any aspect of this parenting gig.

I'm also promoting it as a parenting book for both parents AND non-parents that'll leave you feeling good about yourself, either because (a) you'll realize that, however challenging you may occasionally find being a parent, there's a much bigger doofus than you out there, or because (b) you'll realize that not having kids was the smartest thing you ever did. Either way, score one point for you!


Plus, there are lists a-plenty. There's no way I could write a book that didn't contain a few lists or, as we savvy publishing insiders like to call them, "sidebars."

So here I am, publishers: someone with absolutely zero credentials writing a parenting book that contains no advice, quick fixes, or practical information whatsoever. How refreshing is that?

11 comments:

Maya said...

Between the lists and the fact that it is meant for both the "haves" and the "have nots" (I've written jokingly about this on my blog), it sounds as refreshing as a tall glass of cucumber water on a hot day. I can't wait for it!

White Trasherati said...

Aw, DG, I wish I was a publisher. I'd be all over this.

Claire said...

Sounds great, and a perfect Christmas gift...

landismom said...

Wow, that is cool! I admire your ability to both write a book and keep up such an amazing blog.

Anonymous said...

That is awesome! In addition to working, raising Sam and doing the blogs, I had no idea you were writing a BOOK on the side -- you are a total superstar!

Alice said...

I have one pregnant friend, and one who's just had a baby. And now I have a present to buy for them once it's published and a best-seller!

Tammy said...

Awww... thanks so much for the kind words, everybody. It's not actually soooo amazing that I've got this book going on, because it's heavily based on stuff that I've written here and over on the Bored Housewives Network, so it's been pretty easy so far. But I'll take all the praise I can get -- thanks!

If I can't interest a publisher, I may just self-publish. I'm not so into the fame and riches as I am into the idea of being able to give my book to friends and family who are expecting their first babies. I'm writing the kind of book I wish someone had given me. Hopefully it'll give people a few laughs and spare some of the hair-tearing-out that I've inflicted on myself.

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to see the book-keep us posted as to when we can find it wherever books are sold!

I'm with you--I've always believed that the minute you hear someone state that he or she has the parenting thing nailed down is the same minute you should be calling child protective services on his or her ass. And directing your children not to make eye contact with theirs.

--MommyLaura

Anonymous said...

and fyi if going the diy route: brittannia community centre is offering a intro to small publishing course this fall. might be of interest.

not paris said...

I'm delurking to say WHOO-HOO! I love your writing (here and on BHN), and I can't wait to buy your book. Can I pre-order now? (Just kidding -- sort of. I would pre-order it if I could. I know it will rock.)

I bet there are publishers who will want to buy it, too....

Dave said...

I think Everything I Know About blank I Learned From the Internet could rival the For Dummies books as a series. And I'm only half joking.

Fantastic idea. You write it, I'll buy it.