Sunday, January 13, 2013

If you want a non-annoying inspirational poster, make it yourself.

I was a regular contributor to Apartment Therapy for a few years, and I was there when the typographical poster wave started to crest. (I remember the very first time I saw a "Keep calm and carry on" poster. My reaction: "Oh, shit. This is going to be big.")

The wave almost sucked me under, but I escaped just in time. As a result, I now have a bit of a love/hate relationship with inspirational quotes as art, though I could be swayed by the right inspirational quote (in other words, a quote of my own choosing).

So I was pretty pleased when I came across Recite This, an online tool that lets you input your own favourite quote and then apply any one of a number of templates to it. Here's what I came up with, using one of my favourite quotes from one of my favourite twentieth-century writers:

Some days I need this reminder. I really do. 

6 comments:

Kangarara said...

I love that quote. It's on the same level of inspiration for me as the one from Harvey: ""In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant." Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant. You may quote me."

Kangarara said...

(On the "keep calm & carry on" front, I have a coffee mug with that on it at work. A younger guy asked me what it was - he'd seen it & riffs on it in various contexts. I start explaining that it was inspirational propaganda by the British Government during the war when I remember that this guy is about a 24 yr old German. I stumbled for a minute but kept going #dontMentionTheWar)

Tammy said...

Oh! I haven't watched Harvey in years and years. Thanks for the reminder, Kangarara. Must re-watch soon!

Shona said...

I love "be kind, for everyone you meet is carrying a heavy burden". It's commonly ascribed to Plato, but I'm pretty sure it's not a Plato quote.

Oh, and I LOVE Harvey!

pooj said...

I spent many hours trying to find the recite website a few weeks ago; my google fu was just fail that day! thanks for this!

Akshay Kumar said...

Airlift box office collection prediction release date star cast
Airlift 3rd day box office collection prediction
Airlift Movie Trailer First Look Reviews Story Star Cast Business Report